Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: John I Burton

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    3,146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    John I Burton

    What does the I stand for in JI Burton and what does JJ stand for in JJ Kelly? I have often pondered that.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member imported_Sportsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    1,486
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: John I Burton

    I'm not sure what the J.J. stands for, all I've ever heard Dr. Kelly be called was J.J. Kelly. Here's the history behind the school name:

    Wise, a residential and college town, and the county seat of Wise County, takes its name from Henry Alexander Wise, governor of Virginia from 1856-1860. Located on the western edge of a plateau in an area in which the terrain is predominantly sharp ridges and narrow valleys. Wise, at an elevation of 2,454 feet, has the highest altitude of any town in Wise County.

    The area now comprising the town of Wise was known as "The Glades" or "Big Glades" when it was a part of Russell County. It took the name from the "glady" expanse of land which extended from the town up Glady Creek past the present high school. The act creating Wise County from Russell, Scott, and Lee counties on February 16, 1856, changed the name of the town to Gladeville. On May 4, 1856, the name was changed to Wise Court House; however, since there was a post office in West Virginia by the same name, thus causing confusion in the delivery of mail, the name was changed on May 16, 1893, to Wise. The town was first incorporated in December, 1874.

    The first school in Wise, which was located on Nottingham Avenue, was an old log building with a dirt floor. The next school was located in the old log Primitive Baptist Church which was built in 1847. Following this, classes were held in the old Methodist Church and in a building on the corner adjacent to the Wise County Courthouse. A brick building located on Main Street later housed both the elementary school and the high school until the early 1950's. On August 25, 1953, the present high school, located on Birchfield Road on a 52.5 acre tract of land, was occupied for the first time. It was named for Dr. J. J. Kelly, Jr., superintendent of Wise County Schools from 1917-1963.

    Dr. J. J. Kelly, Jr. began his service as superintendent on January 1, 1917. During his administration, schools and school attendance grew tremendously. Because of his successful work in the school system, the new high school at Wise was named J. J. Kelly High School, in his honor. Dr. Kelly was a graduate of Washington and Lee University and a graduate student at the University of Chicago. He served as a president of both the Virginia Education Association and Department of Superintendents.

    Dr. Kelly's foresight in school matters was evidenced by a number of programs, first of the kind in the state, instituted with success in Wise County. In 1919, Wise County was the first to organize a summer high school program. In 1921, Wise County was one of the first to have a nine month school term. In the 1920's, Wise County was the first to employ high school principals on a twelve month basis, and was one of the first to place commercial courses in the regular high school curriculum. In 1936, Wise County was the first county to organize and offer a five-year high school course. Beginning in the early 1940's, Wise County was also the first to own and operate a county-wide vocational school, transporting students to and from the regular high school.

    Education in the county has changed enormously since the days when students walked several miles to one-room schools. Students can now take advantage of a variety of programs designed to meet their needs and interests. J. J. Kelly High School strives to meet the changing needs of its students and those of the community it serves.

    Information for this Web page was taken from The Story of Wise County, Virginia, written by Luther F. Addington.








  3. #3
    Inactive Member Shoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2002
    Posts
    1,620
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: John I Burton

    [ QUOTE ]
    What does the I stand for in JI Burton and what does JJ stand for in JJ Kelly? I have often pondered that.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    I think the I in John I. Burton stands for Ira, but I may be wrong. I believe he was the princapal at Norton High. So in honor of him they named the "new" highschool after him. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    "Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrafice. The price is paid in blood."

  4. #4
    Inactive Member dirt34's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 8th, 2006
    Posts
    175
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: John I Burton

    The I stands for Issac, that was Mr. Burtons midddle name not Ira. He was my grandfathers principal when he was in high school. And yes the old high school was located where the city park is today.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member LPD_raider's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2004
    Posts
    358
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: John I Burton

    no it was Ira...

  6. #6
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: John I Burton

    Yep, it was Ira
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member RaiderWahoo0105's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2004
    Posts
    625
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: John I Burton

    Per Coach Wilson

    John Ira Burton was I believe a principle at Norton High School (which used to be where the Norton City Park is now).

    The man apparently was a genius and after his education days went off to Washington to be a speech writer for one of the presidents (don't remember which one).

    I don't know if he was ever principal at his namesake though? I kind of a remember a random fact that he was for like a year or so but my memory's hazy on that.
    Go Wahoos!
    Go Mounties!
    [img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/flipanova_7/Inferno.jpg[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Shoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2002
    Posts
    1,620
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: John I Burton

    Woohoo I was right for once lol. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/getsmile.tmp007816300.gif[/img]
    "Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrafice. The price is paid in blood."

  9. #9
    Inactive Member RaiderWahoo0105's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2004
    Posts
    625
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: John I Burton

    haha I see Shoe beat me to it.
    Go Wahoos!
    Go Mounties!
    [img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/flipanova_7/Inferno.jpg[/img]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Shoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2002
    Posts
    1,620
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: John I Burton

    I don't know much but I know alittle bit. Like my dad use to say "I know alot about alittle" lol. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrafice. The price is paid in blood."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •